A Day’s Worth of Stupid Simple Mug Meals
If you’re on Pinterest you’re already familiar with the ubiquity of mug meals. Microwave friendly recipes catering to all the lone and lazy wolves and putting all the spare mugs in your house to good use can’t be all bad, right? I initially had a huge problem with this movement. Sure it was a perfect excuse to not do the dishes and eating in my sweats sounded legit. But was convenience really worth a mediocre microwaved mug meal? Turns out, yep.
There is no substitute for time, effort and good ol’ TLC when it comes to cooking. But these recipes come quite close to the real deal. So if you’re strapped for time, super lazy, or just looking to put that “World’s #1 Dad” mug to use, check these out:
– Two eggs
– Two Tbsp. Milk
– One scallion/ green onion chopped
– One tsp Parsley
– Salt and pepper
– Diced tomatoes
1) Add eggs to mug and whisk together with a fork
2) Add parsley, scallions, milk, salt, and pepper. Whisk until all ingredients are completely mixed together.
3) Microwave for one minute. Stir and break up any large chunks of egg.
4) Cook for another 45 to 60 seconds or until eggs set.
5) Eat up.
Lunch: Thai Noodle Soup
– 2-3 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped
– 1 clove garlic
– 1 dollop red chilli paste
– 1 tiny knob ginger
– 1 lime
– 75 g straight to wok rice noodles
– 80 ml coconut milk
– 100 ml water
– 1 tsp soy sauce
– 1/2 tsp fish sauce
– 5 raw king prawns
1) Grate garlic, ginger, and lime into the mug with the chili paste.
2) Stir in the fish sauce, soy sauce, coconut milk, and water.
3) Place noodles and prawns into broth and heat for 3.5 minutes.
4) Top with coriander and serve
Snack: Chocolate Chip Cookie
– 1 tbsp butter
– 1 tbsp white sugar and 1 tbsp brown sugar
– 2 drops of vanilla extract
– 1 egg yolk
– 1/4th cup of flour
– a pinch of salt
– 2 tbsp chocolate chips
1) Beat together butter, sugars, vanilla, egg yolk, and salt.
2) Fold in flour and chocolate chips
3) Microwave for 40-60 seconds
4) Dig in
Dinner: Spinach Lasagna
– 1/2 quick-bake lasagna sheet
-2 1/2 cups chopped baby spinach
– 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
– 3 large chopped basil leaves
– 1/4 tsp kosher salt
– 1/8 tsp granulated garlic
– 6 tbs pasta sauce
– 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
1) Boil and set aside the spinach and lasagna sheet.
2) Mix the spinach with the ricotta, pepper, granulated garlic, and salt.
3) Pour 2 tablespoons of pasta sauce at the bottom of the mug and top with a piece of pasta sheet.
4) Add some spinach mixture, 2 tablespoons of mozzarella, and a pasta sheet
5) Continue building the lasagna, ending with a layer of pasta sheet at the top.
6) Sprinkle mozzarella over the pasta and cook for 2 minutes.
7) Dig in
Dessert: Nutella Cake
– 4 tbsp flour
– 3 tbsp sugar
– 2 tbsp cocoa powder
– ½ tsp baking powder
– 3 tbsp milk
– 1 tbsp oil
– 1 tbsp Nutella
1) Mix all of the ingredients apart from the Nutella until just combined
2) Spoon Nutella on top of the batter.
3) Microwave on high for 90 seconds
4) Eat up.
Congratulations, you’ve just spent a whole day living your best, laziest life. Don’t make it a habit but do bookmark it for the Nutella mug cake recipe. It’s a winner.